Monday, October 7, 2013

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Homemade chicken noodle soup was my favorite meal as a child. I have so many memories of my Mother and Aunt Sharon making this yummy soup. It feeds the belly and the soul. I even asked for it to be the meal at my luncheon when I got married. I believe the key ingredient to this masterpiece is the homemade noodles. Big thick homemade noodles are a necessity for this soup. Making your own noodles can be a little nerve-wracking at first but they really are simple and are worth the extra time. So here is the recipe.


{Chicken Noodle Soup}
6-8 cups water
2 chicken breasts
*3-4 carrots, cut in slim 1/4 inch pieces
*2-3 celery ribs, cut in slim 1/4 inch pieces
*1 large onion, diced
3 Tbsp Chicken Stock (I buy my stock in bulk from Winco or you can get a good priced jar from Sam's Club. I have also used bullion cubes.)

*Veggies depend on your preferences. I love to use lots of veggies in my soup but I have gotten by with only 2 small carrots.


I boil the above ingredients until the chicken is completely cooked. I take out the chicken and then I let it cool on a cutting board. When it is cooled, I dice it up into tiny pieces (you can shred or chunk up the chicken, but I like it diced up) and then I put it back into the soup.


{Noodles}
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
3-4 TBS water or milk

Make a well in a bowl with your dry ingredients. Crack your eggs into your well and then mix together with fork until you start forming dough. When you have a stiff dough slowly add your milk (or water), a tablespoon at a time, until your dough is a ball of workable dough (not too sticky). Split dough in half and then lightly sprinkle flour on a surface and roll out your dough as thin as you can. Cut noddle desired thickness with pizza cutter  and repeat with other half.  Add noodles into your BOILING soup.  Boil for 5-10 minutes and then serve with some yummy homemade rolls. 

Hopefully that all makes sense and it works out when you make it :) This is the best way to eat chicken noodle soup- with home made noodles!! The ultimate comfort food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...