Friday, July 15, 2011

Moe's Cream Sauce with Linguine...at last!

I've been meaning to post this for awhile, I originally got this recipe--called "Linguine with Garlic Sauce" from a Taste of Home cookbook that my hubby got me for my birthday.  The recipe as given was okay but we have improved it a little and now it is one of our favorite meals:

1/2 lb bacon (I've used precooked bacon)
5 cups fresh baby spinach (I've used frozen but it turns your sauce green :)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/4 cup milk or half n half or cream (I use whatever I have)
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp  pepper
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/2 cup parmesan, and if you like some to sprinkle on top
(we also have used swiss cheese...it was really good)

Cook bacon til you can crumble it (pretty crispy), drain on paper plate and retain 1-3 Tbsp bacon grease.  Saute in grease your spinach, onion and garlic.  Add milk, cream cheese, butter, salt, nutmeg, pepper and parmesan cheese.  Stir until smooth.  Heat to thicken.  Stir in toasted pine nuts and bacon at very end.  Serve on top of Linguine.  Makes 4-6 servings.  If I want it to stretch I just add more cream.  Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...