Monday, March 11, 2013

Trader Joe's Hummus


I got this Trader Joe's Hummus Rendition from www.sweetannas.com...and I'm addicted

Ingredients:
2 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
drained (about 3 cups)
1 tsp garlic, minced
6 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
1 1/4 tsp salt
zest of 1 large lemon (I've never put this in)
Juice of 2 large lemons (I use 1/4 cup bottled juice)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
about 1/2 cup hot water (I used 3/4 cup)

Run all ingredients except water in food processor for 3-4 minutes.  After 30 seconds start adding water till you reach desired consistency.  Process until smooth and creamy.  Make a tad bit runny, it will set up in fridge.  Put in container and chill for several hours so flavors meld.  Before serving, drizzle with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.  (for true Trader Joe's copy, top with pine nuts, dried parsley and dehydrated red pepper!)
Serve with veggies, crackers or pita chips.

I have cooked by own chickpeas and I used the juices in place of the water, which was yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...