Monday, September 30, 2013

Meatballs Round 2

Moe introduced me to my all time favorite meatball meal. Waikiki meatballs was love at first bite. I admit I have gone way overboard with meatballs in general but to my defense, they are just so yummy. When we first started this blog I wrote a post about meatballs and well since then, I have got meatball making down to a science. So all though I love Moe's meatball recipe, I have changed it up to make my meatball making process faster, more economical, and well maybe just a tad tastier. So here I go, yet again, on a meatball loving post.
(I only have my phone camera to work with, so your going to get some winner pictures from us)

Meatball Recipe
1 lb. Hamburger (I prefer 90% / 10% lean)
1 lb. Ground Pork(I love the flavor this meat adds and a huge plus is that right now ground pork is less money than beef in Texas)
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
1 TBS. Minced Garlic
2/3 Cup Plain Bread Crumbs (so much easier than trying to crush saltines)
1 Egg
¼ Cup Milk
(If the mixture is too sticky, add some more bread crumbs to get a good mix--not too sticky and not too dry. The meatballs should be easy to roll but you want them to be moist.)

Mix all above ingredients together with hand and then roll into desired meatball size.This is where I have changed up the old recipe. I used to cook the meatballs first in oil and then finish baking them. I have stopped doing that all together and the meatballs go straight into the oven. Place on tinfoil lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes and then turn the broiler on for 5 minutes to make the tops a bit crispy (watch carefully). This recipe makes between 30-40 meatballs, depending on their size. I have started to make my meatballs a lot smaller than I used to. It takes about 10-15 more minutes to hand roll them at a smaller size but I think it’s well worth it. My 3 year old eats them easier if they are small, the recipe makes more meatballs, and I think they might pack a little bit more flavor when they are small. I usually double or even triple the recipe and I usually get around 100 meatballs.

8 Meatball Uses- That’s 8 Meals!!!!

Waikiki Meatballs (Courtesy of Moe's family-in-law)
20-30 Meatballs (Recipe Above)

Waikiki Sauce-
2TBS Cornstarch
1 Can Pineapple tidbits
1TBS Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/3 Cup Diced Green Pepper

Combine pineapple juice, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and soy sauce. Reserve 1 TBS and mix with cornstarch. Bring to boil above ingredients, and then add corn starch liquid. It will thicken up and then you add your pineapple and green peppers. Poor it over your meatballs and let it soak all of that sweet yummy goodness into the meat. If meatballs are frozen, put in baking dish and pour sauce over the meatballs, cover with tinfoil, and bake at 350 15-20 minutes or until heated through.  Serve over white or brown rice.

Spaghetti and Meatballs/Meatball Marinara Subs
20-30 Meatballs

Simple Marinara Sauce-
In a medium saucepan heat 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat. Add 2 minced garlic cloves, cook until fragrant. About 1 minute. Add 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes and 1 can whole or diced peeled tomatoes, breaking them as you go. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil, and then reduce to rapid simmer. Cook stirring often until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1 tsp minced oregano leaves. Makes 2 1/2 cups. I have also added fresh basil leaves.

(In a pinch, which is like almost always, I use a jar of my favorite store bought sauce. I really like to use Classico- Spicy Tomato Basil.)

For Spaghetti and Meatballs Serve over Spaghetti Noodles.

For Meatball Marinara Subs, serve in subs with olives, tomatoes, your favorite cheese and toast in oven.

Meatball Casserole

12-16 Meatballs
1 Can Cream of Mushroom
1 Can Cream of Chicken
½ cup Sour Cream of Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Box Stove Top (chicken flavor)
1/2 cup cheddar/mozzarella cheese

Put meatballs in casserole dish. Cook stove top and sprinkle half of stuffing on meatballs. Combine your cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, and sour cream. Pour over your meatballs and stuffing. Sprinkle on the rest of the cooked stuffing and cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Serves 2-3 people (if you like meatballs as much as we do) Great comfort food!!

Meatball Bubble Bread
18-24 Mini Meatballs
(With mini meatballs you just roll your meatballs into smaller balls and cook at a shorter time)

Bread Recipe- (Courtesy of Our Best Bites)
1 ½ cups warm water
1 TBS Sugar
1 TBS Yeast
½ tsp salt
3-4 cups flour

Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast and let bubble. Then add salt and flour and mix until dough is slightly sticky. Spray a bowl with non stick spray and then spray hands and remove dough from mixing bowl. Put dough in sprayed bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit and rise until doubled. Once doubled, remove dough from bowl and place on non stick sprayed surface. Divide into 18-24 pieces and wrap mini meatballs in dough. Place seam down in pie pan, Butter the tops of the dough balls and sprinkle with garlic salt and parsley. Let sit for 10 minutes and then bake at 400 18-20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Dip bubble bread in marinara sauce.

Sweet and Sour Appetizer Meatballs (Courtesy of Our Best Bites)

50-70 Frozen Meatballs
1 (12-ounce) jar chili sauce
1(16-ounce) jar grape jelly

Combine jelly and chili sauce in slow cooker and stir until smooth. Heat the mixture if needed to combine. Add meatballs and set temperature to low. Cook for 2-5 hours on low. Serve with toothpicks.

Italian Meatball Soup (Courtesy of Our Best Bites)

30- 40 mini meatballs
1-2 TBS olive oil
1 onion chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
5 (14 ounce) cans of chicken broth
1 cup water
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 TBS Italian seasoning
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup small pasta uncooked
2 cups fresh spinach, thinly sliced

Heat 1-2 TBS of olive oil in a large stockpot. Sauté the onions and garlic until translucent. Add broth, water, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning. Heat to boiling. Add the meatballs, carrots, past, and spinach. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender and pasta is al dente.

Swedish Meatballs

I am still searching for a WOW recipe for Swedish Meatballs. Hopefully I will find one soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the pork addition, excited to try out your improvements :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...